Monday, June 30, 2014

Amazing LGBT Moments

I love unexpected conversations that lead to a solid dose of health, healing, and wholeness. Just had one, and it feels good. It began with a Mom timorously asking how I thought gay people became gay. My take is that it's called birth!  It's simply part of who you are. This Mom suddenly breathed easy. She knew the conversation could have gone any which way. But, because we had shared a first unexpected laugh and smile together at a lunch event, she dared to trust me. Her son is gay. And she feels alone. She doesn't have people to easily talk to about what it means to her and how she worries for her son. We shared heart-to-heart and both went away loving and caring about each other. It was a beautiful experience.

Trust is an amazing gift. And a gift that's easily abused and broken.

I had a very different conversation with someone else recently. She's a hater. She likes to sneer at people. I couldn't tell you what she is "for," but I sure know what she's against: LGBT+ people. There wasn't an ounce of grace in anything she said -- only condemnation and belittling. She knows what she knows: that gay people are condemned and hopeless unless they choose to live the way she's decided they should live.

I want to be trustworthy. And sometimes that means not hiding from the haters. Not remaining silent. Not giving an air of it being OK to hate. Not walking away without answering. Even if sometimes it feels like an empty attempt at bringing sense to the lives of truly senseless people. Even if I end up looking like a fool to the hater and his/her fellow haters. Even if it costs me my comfort and reputation.

Have you ever met a Christian bully? Talk about a destructive force! They should be considered dangerous and treated accordingly -- with great care and concern. They should be watched. They should be held to account. And they should be prevented in any way possible from having anything to do with vulnerable people.

It helps to weigh things up like this: If they spoke or acted like that if they were 5 years old, would they end up on the naughty step? If the answer is Yes, then get them there (whatever the adult version of the naughty step is!) -- and quickly! Don't let the haters get away with it. Don't just let it go. Promise to stand up and be counted! (Trust me, I know how painful that can be -- and it's totally worth it!)

I dream of a world where needing to protect my gay friends is a silly notion of the past. I dream of a time when people love people for who they are, without spending time telling them what's wrong with them or who they should be. I dream of a world of inclusive love. I want to help get us there!


You, too? :-) xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time and trouble to be in touch -- heart to heart!