Monday, October 28, 2013

LGBTQQIA -- Every letter matters because everyone matters!

LGBTQQIA -- that's a lot to remember! And I'm glad I do -- the letters just trip merrily off my tongue! (Go ahead, practice saying it all day!) I laugh when I say it because I'm so happy my pea brain actually remembers them all! I also like the befuddled looks of my disinterested friends as they wonder why I know that tidbit of information and why I think they'd want to know it, too!

Here's my pledge:  No matter matter how many more letters are ever added, I promise to keep trying to remember them all because it's important -- each letter represents people who matter -- and I want my life to prove that everyone matters!

I'm just a tiny-voiced little guy who really wants to help. And something stirs in me to speak and act more plainly and openly. I just often don't know what to say or how to say it helpfully without seeming angry and overly-protective on behalf of people I care about! There's a frustration in me because open dialog isn't easy. I'm amazed at how many good people yawn and glaze over -- or worse, turn ugly -- when it feels right to talk about what's going on in the LGBTQQIA Community. People don't seem to realize that when you fight and argue and get ugly and mean like that, you're actually fighting and arguing and getting ugly and mean against real people! People who don't deserve to be sneered at or looked down on any more than they, you, or I want to be...

Only one little word/phrase has to be change for each of us to get to be part of this amazing community. Do you say them or us? Is it those people or my friends and neighbors? Is it their or my issue?

Yes, LGBTQQIA is a lot of letters, and aren't you glad? Isn't it good to be included rather than excluded? Every letter is an invitation to belong and to get involved. You'll know you've got it right when this is how you say it: This is MY community. These are MY friends. This is MY cause.

The challenge for me, as with any group of people I get to be part of, is to be a positive part of the whole -- to live and love and work and serve in such a way that we're all better together -- truly united -- strong, safe, sure, wanted, respected, appreciated, loved!

You know what I'm really looking forward to? That day when the whole alphabet of mankind can live together joyfully, with lots of smiles, love, and laughter...

If you're reading this, know that I love you, and I'm happy we're in this thing together no matter what letter of the alphabet represents you!  :-)  xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time and trouble to be in touch -- heart to heart!