Friday, October 25, 2013

What about my reputation?

Jesus' disciples were questioned for the company he kept. Apparently, "they" (sinners and tax collectors!) were more important to Jesus than his reputation -- and they were worth the possibility of besmirching that reputation.

I wonder how important my reputation is to me? Am I spending time with the right kinds of people meaning, perhaps, the supposedly "wrong" kinds of people? Is my ministry to people more important than the "institution" of my service? Does anyone ever stop and wonder why I'm hanging out with "those" people?

Some days I feel too clean and prissy. It's good spiritual medicine to be with godly and good Christian people -- but my life purpose isn't that -- it's "them." At my best I serve in ways that are rough and tumbling and real, living and loving people who are rough and tumbling and real! I need more of that to be the me God wants me to be! That's where the joy of service is found if I want to live at all like Jesus. And I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time and trouble to be in touch -- heart to heart!