Tuesday, December 24, 2013

An LGBT Christmas


Funny what hits you. I've heard the Christmas story for 49 years. But it was only this season that one word stood out and gave me fresh hope for my LGBT friends: "Everyone!"

Actually, that's my personal paraphrase! Here's how it actually reads in Luke 2 (remember, it's the angel talking; cool, huh!) -- “Do not be afraid. I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people." (Luke 2:10 NIV)

Yeah, it's a modern translation -- not quite so snazzy as the King James Version: "Behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people." (Luke 2:10)

Do you agree with me (sadly) that some Christians need to be reminded that this whole God-loving-everyone and Jesus-coming-for-everyone thing really is all-inclusive?

As that one word/thought/theme got me thinking, it seemed the whole story came alive in a fresh, gay way! That old story felt new -- good news for LGBT people who've been so purposefully excluded too many times in too many places by too many people. (The reason I say that is that Roman Christmas lights in remembrance of a young gay man who commits suicide should not create a furore; they should more rightly cause tears of sadness and greater efforts at reconciliation!)

Tell me these aren't good themes for everyone in the Christmas story: don't be afraid, good news for everyone, today hope is born...plus you just can't go wrong with all those cute little shepherds and lambs...and a baby...awwwww! :-)

So, dear Christians, here's your Christmas reminder: You may want to be stingy with the good news and keep it from your LGBT family and friends and neighbors and colleagues. But God's good news, the joyful news, really is for EVERYONE...and I'm glad that includes even me!

Merry Christmas, and a very happy 2014! With love and prayers...Steve xoxo

p.s. I must figure out how to bring the word "behold" back into routine conversation...






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time and trouble to be in touch -- heart to heart!