Wednesday, December 4, 2013

LGBT people aren't a subject to be debated...

I get into people. But debates about people irritate me. That's mainly because the ones I've watched unfold tend to end up being very unhelpful and very hurtful -- with participants becoming louder, meaner, and unkinder! Whenever and however we dehumanize people into subjects to be debated, we fail.

I wonder how much time those who decry this or that section of the population spend with this or that section of the population. Simple wisdom suggests to me that a better use of time would be hanging out with and getting to know those people! Listening, learning, loving, caring for them. Sharing life with them. Learning their story and discovering that their story is incredible! Respecting variety and honoring uniqueness.

Maybe you're tired of debating, but you've painted yourself into a corner and don't know what to do. Let me help you with a vital life lesson: Paint Dries! Get up, move to where you ought to be! Hug the one you used to hate, and enjoy your new friend!

Whenever I hear the volume and tension grow on the all-too-popular debating theme of LGBT people, I want to ask the debater just a few obvious questions -- simply, quietly, courteously:

-- How many gay people do you actually know?
-- How many gay people would you consider friends?
-- How many gay people would consider you their friend?

How can you learn to love someone you won't even talk to? LGBT people aren't a subject to be debated, they're people to love -- like all people -- like you and me!

I've predetermined my New Year's resolution for 2014, and it's a doozy! I'm going to choose to spend time with people I wouldn't normally spend time with! I know people who hate me based on my life labels. I know people that, if they really knew me -- who I am in my real and best self -- they'd hate me even more! So I guess that means I'm on the lookout for haters! But when I get to them, I don't want to debate who I am, and I don't want to debate who they are -- I just want my life and the way I live to be proof enough that I am...

...a man of love and grace and mercy,
...a man who believes in and works for justice and who defends the oppressed,
...a man whose purpose is to live and breath for the sake others!

I mean it! And I'm going to keep growing in that throughout this next year -- starting now! Please feel free to hold me accountable and ask for tangible proof that I'm keeping my word!

Here's what I want to do: Love you not debate you...whoever you are! :-) xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time and trouble to be in touch -- heart to heart!