Friday, November 29, 2013

World AIDS Day 2013: Getting to Zero!

"World AIDS Day" starts with an amazing word:  World!

Few things actually draw all of humankind together as completely as tragedy. And AIDS is a tragedy of global proportions -- and something that has pointedly refused to show any kind of discrimination. It continues to lambaste men and women, boys and girls of every continent and every color and race and religion and...and every everything!

But World AIDS Day is much more than a sorrowful reminder -- it's a spurring on to see the disease brought to a close (*), to keep people drawn together, and to press on with other opportunities to love and serve suffering humanity.

[ * Can you imagine a moment to come when the news story is the name of the last person bearing that label? That's a worthy goal! Just imagine... ]

I remember John, the first person I knew with AIDS -- and the first friend I lost to AIDS. I think of others I know now facing those terrifying alphabet letters. The acronym still looks so innocuous, so harmless; and yet it represents one of the most powerful changes in human history. Those letters -- and HIV/ with them -- should have melted hearts and sent people into service. And that's exactly what happened with so many! But all too often and in too many places the letters HIV/AIDS have been used as weapons rather than doorways to kindness and loving care. They have been used to belittle and oppress people who already feel/felt little and oppressed. They have caused isolation and despair when they should have drawn people together in all that humankind does best: loving care, sacrificial presence, tenderness, shared laughter and tears, sacred remembrance, and all the holy aspects the human spirit exists to share.

My world is opening up this year as never before; I feel like I'm finally learning to love really and completely. I'm much more aware of the plight of those most obviously hit by this Day's remembrance -- lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender folks -- family, friends, neighbors, and strangers alike. And I'm grateful that I've had the privilege of coming alongside people very much unlike me, from worlds so different from my own, only to discover that we're very much more alike than I had known or imagined! Being eye to eye, heart to heart seems to change everything.

I guess the point is obvious when we contemplate hard marking moments like World AIDS Day -- It's personal. It's my day to remember. It's my time to use the resources at my disposal for good purposes. It's part of my life because they, you, and I are all part of this one World!

Much love to everyone feeling the pain that HIV/AIDS leaves in its wake...you're not alone; we're in this thing together! xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time and trouble to be in touch -- heart to heart!