Saturday, November 9, 2013

LGBT pain and suffering: Does "the church" care?

I dream of a world where groups like @beatbullying and @AllResources_ie and @Nobullying14 aren't needed. And my heart is doubly wrenched that the work of The @TrevorProject has to be about saving lives, not even just about the hard work of healing broken hearts and hurt feelings! (Please look up some of the all-too-many anti-bullying websites, Facebook pages, and Twitter accounts...these are just a few of the many I learn from by following...)

The wonderful groups named above are helping me to become the man I oughta be. They tell me the stories I'd rather not know (about too many LGBT men and women being beaten in New York and elsewhere recently just for being who they are) -- and the people whose names I don't want to hear (Vivian, a transgender woman beaten in Hollywood earlier this year) -- because it hurts so deeply to know how mean the world can be! These groups speak against a world of hate and cruelty and anger directed at vulnerable and isolated and often very lonely individuals.

The church has a huge role in changing this: firstly, by acknowledging the wrong of hate and cruelty of any kind; then, in overcoming future examples of evil by doing much more good!


-- I want to belong to a church that isn't afraid of any question -- even the hard and embarrassing ones! -- and that isn't afraid to answer honestly, "We just don't know! But in the meantime we're going to make sure that love and grace win the day!"

-- I want to belong to a church that truly cares and breaks its heart (including tears and righteous anger) over the pain of isolation and loneliness brought about by religiosity.

-- I want to belong to a church that is sad when LGBT people are harmed or suffer in any way.

-- I want to belong to a church that responds to human suffering -- including the suffering of gay men and women -- with Christ-like love. (His love was demonstrated and costly and very personal and intimate.)

-- I want to belong to a church defined by love and grace and acceptance, not hate and judgment and exclusion.

-- I want to belong to a church that uses its voice loudly for justice. (I want to speak out for those with no voice or who live with heavy fear of speaking out for right. I want to decry hate -- especially when it's God's people being hateful!)

And, pointing my finger directly at me...(believing that God wants these things, too!)...

-- I want the people I'm called to love and serve to be more important to me than my reputation.

-- I want the worst sorts of people to be completely comfortable with me -- as they were with Jesus. (Not sure who gets to decide who "worst sorts" might mean!)

Thus endeth today's rant! :-) Thanks for sticking with me as I clumsily continue to grow!


Love and joy and peace and good fellowship and acceptance to you all!  xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time and trouble to be in touch -- heart to heart!