Saturday, November 23, 2013

Why are Christians so mean? (Or...How Margaret Cho changed my life!)

WHY ARE CHRISTIANS SO MEAN?
Or...How Margaret Cho changed my life!

Here are some of her labels, if Margaret Cho's name is new to you (in no particular order): queer * Korean-American comedian -- and one of the funniest people alive; but if you're sensitive to, um, "rough language," you might not want to Google her!

My second favorite quote from her routines (what I've seen anyway) is, "I want Jesus to come back and say, 'That's not what I meant!'"

But my number one, ultimate, favorite, life-changing quote/question came from her lips to my heart quite by accident. I was wandering through the TV channels one evening when I stopped for a moment mid-stand-up routine, just as Ms. Cho asked the simple, straightforward, and not inappropriate question:

"Why are Christians so mean?"

The response of the audience was instantaneous and uproarious -- applause, cheering, shouting -- the place went wild! I laughed out loud, too -- then froze, realizing the power and poignancy of her question! I nearly choked. And then my mind sharpened, and I determined very plainly in myself:  I will not be defined by hate! I won't because it's not who I am...it's not how I live...and sure isn't what I want to be! And, most importantly, it wasn't Jesus' way -- and it's not his way for me! I love being a lover of people -- as exhausting as that is!

The truth is: She's right to wonder. I know a lot of mean Christians. (Too many, anyway. I suppose I can't really quantify "a lot," but TOO MANY isn't wrong.) They speak hate. They Tweet and Facebook hate. They have it in their hearts, and their faces confirm it. They can't hold a decent, cordial, difference-of-opinion conversation without spitting venom. And they seem well at home on the Pharisaical side of the Gospel stories -- head shaking, finger pointing,  and tut-tutting. (Yes, I realize I'm head shaking, finger pointing, and tut-tutting the haters, but it just feels right!)

As for me, I don't know what to do except live my life as best I can on the loving side of things and decry hate where and when I can. My stronger calling sure seems to be something along those lines. Love just seems a much worthier task than hate, don't you think?

Some day, when I hang out with Margaret over dinner or coffee, here's what I'm gonna say: Thank you for the potent reminder! Thanks for helping me know who I want to be! Thanks for being blunt and bold and for poking and prodding me in the right direction! You've made a huge difference in my life...God bless you!

I love you, Margaret Cho! I love you, dear reader! :-)

* From Huffpostgay, The Blog: "...it's up to me to define myself...so that would be queer." (Margaret Cho)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time and trouble to be in touch -- heart to heart!