Friday, November 8, 2013

LGBT people don't need your commas!

"Loneliness
and the feeling of being unwanted
is the most terrible poverty."
-- Mother Teresa

I have often been lonely in the middle of a crowd. Even a crowd of friends! I have felt unwanted, though my head reminds me it's silly to feel that way. My heart often hurts when I think about people getting to know the real me -- hiding under the layers -- ashamed, sad, and doubtful about what would happen if the fully-real me got out! Doing what I should do. Being what I should be. Leaving behind who I really am.

Oh, the games people play (I sure have!) in a sad attempt to be good enough to be loved...ugh.

We all want to be loved and included in the lives of others. We have a built-in need to belong. The problem is that people often require other people to earn love and inclusion -- they're not always freely given! And I think that's based on the most hurtful phrase of all:

I love you, but...

"But..." is the world's great problem. Especially when it comes to the LGBT community. Here's what has been endured:

-- I love you, but your lifestyle displeases me.
-- I love you, but the bible says you're bad.
-- I love you, but you have to live the way I want before I can love you.
-- I love you, but you need to tone it down.
-- I love you, but you're gay.

SHEESH! What a great way to make someone feel lonely and unwanted!

Here's the world's great solution:  Stop at the comma!

Wouldn't the world be a much more beautiful place if we stopped before we hit the comma or before we hit the dark blotch accusation afterthought! See if the phrase doesn't come across much better if I were speaking to YOU like this -- without the "but":  I love you.  (Picture me smiling at you, nodding gentle, and adding, "I really do!")

Love is what washes loneliness away. An accepting, true, honest, sincere, real, you're-fine-as-you-are kind of love! I don't want to feel lonely, and I sure don't want you or anyone else being lonely, either! :-)

Hope you know:  I sure do love YOU...xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time and trouble to be in touch -- heart to heart!