Wednesday, January 8, 2014

A Helpful LGBT Example

Why aren't you you? Why aren't I me? Because we so often play up to someone else, trying to satisfy their expectations. And when we finally have a quiet space to listen to our head and heart -- honestly -- it's just so terrifying, we have to get out as quickly as possible. (Sorry I'm using plural -- I'm really talking about me, but I can't face this alone!)

I stopped for just a brief moment to ask who I'm playing up to these days, and I'm irritated with myself. The people whose endorsement or nod of approval means so much, most of them are of no true significance to me being my best, fullest, most whole self. Why do I sell myself so often to the cheapest bidder? Why do I give them power over me to be less than I should be, to sink to their low level of humanity, to try to earn their acceptance and approval?

I seem to always have at least one person in my life who, quite simply, does not accept me just as I am -- though, if you ask me, I don't think I that bad or that hard to love. But, put one important person in my path who's contrary or difficult, and my bend-over-backwards attempts at acceptance go into overdrive!

But I have a good example to learn from. We're in a healthy and helpful period in history when a whole segment and vital part of our society -- the LGBT Community -- is giving me the example I need -- saying, "No more!" They've determined that others don't set their life rules. They -- at long last -- get to be who they are -- lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender. I'm glad that more and more gay people are so far ahead of me. They're refusing to play the acceptance games. They're refusing to blend in. They're refusing to be who anyone thinks they oughta be. They're simply being who they are. And that's a beautiful example to us all -- certainly to me! Are you openly and completely you? And, if not, who are you allowing to cause you to shrink or hide?

Even though it's probably a tired theme, the closet isn't a wrong metaphor. And many of them have a doorknob on each side. Is someone holding your closet door shut, not letting you out to be whoever you are (that's not just a gay theme after all!), or are you holding yourself in? Or have you simply given up on life, curled up in a ball on a heap of rumpled clothes in the closet, intent on never being brave enough to be you?


Come out, come out whoever you are! And be who you are. Don't wait. Don't ask permission. Don't dither or delay. Just be the person you've always been meant to be -- full of joy, love, smiles, and laughter. Don't believe the liars -- you deserve to be you, and you deserve to be happy!

I promise to be me, if you promise to be you! :-) Love, Steve xo

Some inspiration:

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” ― Oscar Wilde

“To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson

“Always be a first rate version of yourself and not a second rate version of someone else.” ― Judy Garland

“Accept no one's definition of your life, but define yourself.” ― Harvey Fierstein

“About all you can do in life is be who you are. Some people will love you for you. Most will love you for what you can do for them, and some won't like you at all.” ― Rita Mae Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time and trouble to be in touch -- heart to heart!